One good thing that the recent extended community quarantine (ECQ) in Manila brought about was that it made people unleash their inner chef. The 60-day ECQ in Metro Manila, analogous to Singapore’s circuit breaker (CB) measures and Malaysia’s Movement Control Order (MCO), started last March 16 and has been extended until May 31 — with a few modifications to permit economic recovery. People were advised to stay home during the duration of the ECQ, and cooking became a coping mechanism against cabin fever.
Of course, given that I work from home ever since the start of the ECQ – I always had to wake up early and cook my own breakfast. Before, I woke up early to prepare for the office. Now, I wake up early to prepare my first meal before everyone else in the house gets out of bed. I usually start work after finishing breakfast and washing the dishes I used.
Don’t get me wrong – I do know how to cook other dishes, but I find eggs a convenient and versatile breakfast staple. Eggs are the easiest ingredient to cook with; I started off with the basic fried egg before moving on to other ingredients. I usually share these as stories on my Instagram account, so people who follow me there get to see what I create.
A fair warning: Some of these, if not most, may not look appetizing – but who cares? These are my takes and they taste good in my book.
1. Luncheon Meat, Scrambled Egg Omelette, and Rice
2. Chicken Oyako-don over Rice
3. Microwave Scrambled Eggs with Bread
4. Microwave Scrambled Eggs with Chopped Hard-Boiled Egg and Bread
5. Pork Strips Microwave Scrambled Eggs with Rice
6. Crispy Adobo Flakes with Rice
7. Scrambled Egg, Chicken Tocino, and Rice
8. Korean-Style Egg and Bacon Cheese Sandwich
9. One-Egg French Toast (3 Slices)
Until the next post, bon appetit!