A good cup of tea or coffee would never be complete without any accompaniment, whether sweet or savory.
This varies across different countries and cultures. The British prefer their tea with scones, jam and clotted cream. Singaporeans and Malaysians prefer kaya toast and soft-boiled eggs with teh tarik (pulled milk tea) for breakfast. The Dutch usually pair their coffee with a biscuit, whilst Americans commonly pair theirs with donuts. In the Hispanosphere, churros con chocolate with coffee is considered a good tandem.
Today’s cube features different kinds of food that I’ve paired with my tea over the years. As you can see from the pictures, I lean towards hot tea and coffee. Don’t get me wrong; I prefer cold brew coffee at times, but hot drinks traditionally work best with these morsels.
1. Portuguese Egg Tart, Lord Stow’s Bakery
2. Baklava, Mister Kabab
3. Original Bibingka, Antonio’s Bibingka
4. Chocolate Crinkles, Urban Grind
5. Assorted Buns (Chicken Curry, Veggie Shiitake, BBQ Pork), Lucky Bun
6. Cheese Bread and Blueberry Cheesecake, Cafe Pronto
7. Tuna Pandesal, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
8. Basbousa, The Halal Guys
9. Yuzu Cheese Mousse, Tsujiri Matcha
Until the next entry, bon appetit!